Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, May 4, 2009

Sacrifice (VIDEO)

"Sacrifice, which is the passion of great souls, has never been the law of societies." - Henri Frederic Amiel

Some time ago I read an essay by one of my favorite authors, Michael Crichton. In this essay, Crichton stated that he believed that as internet technology improved, as the 'information superhighway' became more advanced and as information was made more readily available?

A youthful culture would arise that would actually be dumber due to the ready access of information.

It seemed quite backwards, but he outlined why he believed; that having answers, quite literally at any second? Would contribute towards a culture of people who would not take responsibility and ownership of themselves. Because they would not think, truly think, for themselves. Therefore, he believed, they would not be able to educate themselves, even with the answers at their fingertips.

He stated: "In the information society, nobody thinks. We expect to banish paper, but we actually banish thought."

I thought it quite backwards at the time, but the more time passes? The more I'm seeing the wisdom in Mr. Crichton's essay.

As it is, I seem to have found a few of those people.

I kid you not, this was one of the private messages I received:

"hey pal, a manager in Manulife company wants me to be a financial planner in the company. Do u think it is a good option? Give some opinions. He said making 20k a month is not a problem."

Give you some options? Are you kidding me? I've told people again and again: "I'm sorry, I'm not here to give you stock picks, or some 'hot system'."

There very next reply?

"So just give me a stock to buy? Will it make money? Will it pay me 10% a year? I need to make 10% a year"

This vlog entry, is for them ...

(Video Included. If you're seeing this entry elsewhere and cannot see the Video? Click here to view the entry ...)



Tomorrow's entry is "Be the House"

* * *

Note: This is not an investment or trading recommendation. The losses in trading can be very real, and depending on the investment vehicle, can exceed your initial investment. I am not a licensed trading or investment adviser, or financial planner. But I do have 13 years of experience in trading and investing in these markets. The Challenge accounts are run for the education of other traders who should make their own decisions based off their own research, and tolerance for risk.

Search Investing and Trading Articles and Products