Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Honesty can Save Your Life

I grew up in a quiet suburb in southeastern Michigan. Our city was not really 'attached' to the metro sprawl of Detroit, as were a lot of other cities like Pontiac, Wyandotte or Warren. On the other hand, we were not as far removed as some of the more rural areas, say, like Chelsea. We were sort of 'related' to the metro sprawl, which was related to Detroit. Therefore, although we had quick access to larger cities and could be there within minutes, we also had a few woods around us.

So as a child of suburbia in the 1980's; I did as all boys do (at least, they used to do before the days of the Playstation) and played in the woods. Also as a young boy, I naturally had a mischievous streak. Just to give you an example, I still remember to this day ... my oldest brother and I ... (I couldn't have been more than six years old) we would go out to the woods, and he would have me help him light fires. Yeah, that's right. Fires. Why? God only knows. The best reason I can come up with, is that we were young boys. That's about all the reason there was. We'd create these elaborate fire ditches, and piles of leaves, and just have fun watching a 'fire go'.

Yeah ...

So that gives you some idea of the sort of brainless things I would find to fill my time with as a youngster.

Of course as my parents watched me grow up, and as I had two older brothers, they knew that they had to try to protect us from ourselves. So while they would let us play in the woods, there were some areas they would tell us not to go near. For instance, near the street that I lived on, in one section of the 'surrounding woods' there was a really, really old barn that was falling down in on itself. That was an area that I wasn't supposed to play. They had no problem with me going to a nearby pond and catching frogs, and tadpoles and all sorts of other creatures. Mom even let me come home with a pet garter snake for a while. But they wanted to keep me safe, so they had this "mean" rule about not playing near an old decrepit barn that was falling in on itself. Go figure eh?

Did I listen? Of course not. I ignored them on more than one occasion. I remember one winter, the neighbor kids and I figured out a way to climb up on top of the roof of this barn (I'm surprised the roof didn't give way beneath us), and we piled up snow on the ground, and we'd jump off of the roof into the snow.

Ah ... how little boys decide to spend their time.

Well one day, I think I may have been 12 or 13 years old at the time, some boys from the neighborhood and I decided we would play our games throughout the woods. I can't even remember what game we were playing. I was playing with a neighbor friend Eric, his younger brother Chad, and I think that our friend Rico may have been present. Regardless, we were running through the woods away from one another. I do remember that much. And of course I'm darting around the area where I'm not supposed to be, near this old barn.

So at one point, I scamper behind that barn as fast as my little feet will carry me. And I remember stepping down, and this wooden plank flying up and nailing me. You know, as a rake would fly up and hit you if you were to step onto the concave blades? I would say this plank of wood was about two feet long and one inch thick, and it hit me right on the thigh. And the most memorable part of this? Is that it didn't move.

I had a piece of wood? Attached to my leg, from below my hip, to my knee. And it's not moving. It was like Dan was a "wood magnet".

Yeah ... you guessed it.

As I start to pull the piece of wood off of my leg, I'm starting to feel this massive, stabbing pain. Sure enough, there is a long jagged nail at the end of the piece of wood. By this time, all of my buddies are gathered around me as they hear me yell out in pain. They watch as I proceed to pry this piece of wood off of my leg, and watch the nail extricate itself with (not to gross ya out ... but ... ) pieces of meat and blood that remained attached to the nail.

So I proceed to hobble off towards home, my buddies following closely behind me, with blood all over my pants. Instead of worrying about the two and a half inch nail that had impaled itself into my leg? I'm worrying about getting caught by Mom and Dad for playing where I should not have been playing. Before we even made it out of the woods, I instantly start forming my 'plan', so that they won't find out what I was doing. Because god forbid that my parents find out the truth.

I figured out that I'd go home ... sneak in through the back door ... and head down to the basement. I'd set the washer to 'cold' to get rid of the blood stain, and wash the jeans. I'd clean out the wound, patch myself up and be as good as new.

Now as I hobble home, my buddies are helping me out as well as watching in morbid fascination as my jeans become soaked with blood. And they keep telling me ...

"Dan, you need to go to the hospital man"

Nahh! I'll be fine. I can already put a little weight on the leg. It'll heal up.

"No, Dan, you need to go to the hospital"

I remember my one friend Eric saying over and over again. "Dan, you need to go to the hospital, this is serious. You could have tetanus"

Tetanus? What's that?

"It's the rust that gets in your blood, poisons your body, and kills you. It can get to be pretty painful."

What?

"Yeah, it can kill you man."

Nahhh, I'll be fine. I think ... Maybe ...

And that conversation went on for the ten minutes it took me to get home..

I kept thinking ... I'll just go home, deceive my parents and everything will be 'ok'. And I did. I got home, and I cleaned myself up. I threw the jeans into the washer, and put a large band-aid on the leg. I got away with it. I got away with getting hurt, and no one knowing about it. I got away with playing where I shouldn't be playing. I got away with it.

But Eric's words kept on pounding through my mind. And after about a two hour conversation with myself, I decided to approach my mom and tell her what had happened.

It probably saved my life.

Because when we arrived at the doctors, and they checked me out? They quickly discovered that I still had pieces of rust around and inside the wound that I had covered up with the band-aid. Naturally, I got the tetanus shot and my entire body began to stiffen. After a few days the doctors were confident that I was 'out of the woods', pardon the pun.

Now I say all of that, to say this.

I learned early on, that honesty ... it can save your life. At our congregation last night, we were all discussing the value of honesty. A point was made in a publication, that I thought was just beautiful.

"There are few things you will ever find in life that are more valuable than a reputation as an honest, trustworthy person. And think of it - anyone can build such a reputation! It does not depend on your talent, wealth, looks, social background, or any other factor beyond your control. Nonetheless, many fail to acquire the treasure of a good reputation. It is a rarity..."

How true.

And what is rare? Is also valuable.

To be a profitable trader? You first of all must be honest with yourself. That's not to say that honesty is easy. Dishonesty and deception is a temptation to begin with, because it may seem as if there are immediate, gratifying, positive or profitable results for doing so. So it's not always easy. I'm reviewing the sub accounts so that I can have a "$500 Challenge Project Summary of 2009" entry, for release tomorrow. It'd be nice to sort of 'skew' that entire mess I had with Bank of America (BAC) somehow. The temptation to do the 'dishonest' thing is always there. But in the end? Honesty always trumps any short term gains made from dishonesty.

Especially in an industry that is rife with crooks and scammers. I watched a special yesterday on Lou Pearlman. Wow. It's incredible the hard work and lengths that people will go to, in order to dishonestly scam people out of their money!

We also live in a world, where it is increasingly common for people to think that they are living honestly, but deceitfully try to paint themselves in a more positive light than what all of the facts would truly reveal. That 'deceptive mindset' is one reason why I've tried to be very honest about how I got started in the markets, and how long my 'learning curve' actually was. And to be sure, for some time short sighted guys like Lou Pearlman and Bernard Madeoff live very, very well for a time. But dishonesty is always a losers game in the long run.

To end this entry ... as I was just discussing the $500 Challenge Project? I had mentioned some time ago that when the Challenge project savings funds transfer posted in the new "savings" account, I would post the confirmation picture. So here it is ...

Snapshots of Accounts:
(Can Be Enlarged)
The Challenge Project deposit for this week still hasn't posted, but that accounts cash will read as $238.51 with the new deposit, instead of the $213.51 that is currently showing.

* * *

Note: This is not an investment or trading recommendation. The losses in trading can be very real, and depending on the investment vehicle, can exceed your initial investment. I am not a licensed trading or investment adviser, or financial planner. But I do have over 13 years of experience in trading and investing in these markets. The Challenge accounts are run for the education of other traders who should make their own decisions based off their own research, and tolerance for risk.

Search Investing and Trading Articles and Products