Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Will. Go. Do.

"The true hero is flawed. The true test of a champion is not whether he can triumph, but whether he can overcome obstacles -preferably of his own making- in order to triumph." -Garth Stein

I've talked at length, in more blog posts than I can recount, for the reasons that I began this "blogging project". For the reasons that I began the passion project that is the "Challenge Project", found here at the blog.

Briefly stated ... just a few short years ago, day after day, I was sitting in front of my monitors. I'd make some money in the capital markets, and then I would proceed to go do what I wanted to do, which is help other people in my community.

But somehow, it seemed like I wasn't really helping to my fullest extent. As I have often mentioned, sitting in front of monitors, waiting for a Sugar trade order to fill? You have plenty of time on your hands. There seems to be a persistent myth that those who make money in the capital markets wouldn't have time to talk about their experiences publicly. Let me tell you something .... all you have is time when you are waiting for July 2010 Sugar to MOVE in one direction or another so that you can start managing the trade. (But that's a subject for another blog entry).

So I started this blog, which is really, my secular "passion project". I write this entry, as I'm waiting for a day order in the corn market to fill or not, as well as the Sugar market. So as I have the time ....

To those that know me in my day to day life? I'd often downplay what I do for a living for those that met me in real life. I still do. I was afraid of becoming known as "the money guy". And it's a fear I still hold to this day. My secular skill set? It involves running money. It's a great skill set to have when it comes to the practical matters of procuring life's necessities, while at the same time enjoying a great deal of freedom (That can be a two edged sword by the way, but that's a subject for another blog entry).

Unfortunately, it has the tendency to distance myself from other people.

"Dan runs money" or "Dan's a trader" and then ... "Dan's into money"

Nooooo.

Dan runs money. Dan's a trader. Dan's into people.

And I count myself as blessed that I have encountered so many interesting and fascinating people in this journey and gift we call life.

As you may have already noted on my facebook page, I was finally getting through some emails, and found one from a fellow trader I had the opportunity to meet some time ago ... Andre.

I'll share some of the email here ...

(Hey, I'm sorry, but if you email me, you take the risk of it showing up in public ... :) )

"This seemed right up your alley as you are the most altruistic capitalist I know ;) I say that lightheartedly w/o wanting to get into an altruism or "what Dan is" debate ;) ..." (We'll make that a subject for another blog entry) ... "I have a lot of respect for you as a person and what you've done for others and with the web. So, any comments or questions would be fantastic. If you merely pass it along, that would be helpful too."

Andre, it seems, has begun his own personal "passion project". He's calling it "Will. Go. Do." And Andre was right. This is right up my alley.

Because life cannot be about "money" and making "more money than everyone else". Life, should be about life. Life, is just that. Life. Sentient life, is about other people. It may sound 'redunantly enigmatic', but I'm sorry, that's the way I feel. After all, one day ... no one knows when ... our life can come to an end. My life will come to an end. There will be a "last second" for Dan Shy as a human. And life in this system of things is unfortunately chaotic at times. It can cause a great deal of tears and pain. It's an aspect of life I unfortunately know all too well.

And I want to feel in that last second of my life? That I 'went'. That I 'did'. That at every opportunity I had to do so? I chose people, over money. That I did my best, with the hand I was dealt to help others, and to enrich their lives.

So check out "Will. Go. Do."



* * *

Note: This is not an investment or trading recommendation. The losses in trading can be very real, and depending on the investment vehicle, can exceed your initial investment. I am not a licensed trading or investment adviser, or financial planner. But I do have over 13 years of experience in trading and investing in these markets. The Challenge accounts are run for the education of other traders who should make their own decisions based off their own research, and tolerance for risk.

Share

Search Investing and Trading Articles and Products