Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

ThinkorSwim Migrates to .... ?

I try to be a compassionate guy. A 'giving' sort of guy. I try to be understanding.

Years ago (many years ago), I used to work in the Information Technology field. About the only thing when it came to the network at General Motors (GM) headquarters that I did not do, was the actual engineering work in the closets. But you name it ... running the administration, management, software testing and integration, deployment ... I did it on that network.

So I have a great deal of empathy for folks who are in the midst of an I.T. migration; such as the one that ThinkorSwim is in the middle of. It's a gigantic task.

Now, all of that being said ...

I've been in this business for 14 years. And in all of that time, I've never had a platform go 'non-functional' for two entire days. I understand that migrations are an incredible undertaking and that there are always a number unknown factors that you did not account for. But this is why you build test servers. This is why you build model offices. This is why you test, and test and retest as you expand the WAN area.

Because two days with a non-functional platform when your entire business model is providing a platform?

That's simply unacceptable.

Thankfully, I've kept my optionsXpress account during this time, and was able to use that. But what happens when I close those accounts as well according to my earlier announcement?

I tell you what ... on that front ... I'm running into a whole set of problems and risks that I haven't had to consider for a long, long time.

* * *

Note: This is not an investment or trading recommendation. The losses in trading can be very real, and depending on the investment vehicle, can exceed your initial investment. I am not a licensed trading or investment adviser, or financial planner. But I do have 14 years of experience in trading and investing in these markets. The Challenge accounts are run for the education of other traders who should make their own decisions based off their own research, and tolerance for risk.

Search Investing and Trading Articles and Products